I just spent a few hours clearing out my closet and I can’t imagine a better way to start the new year. I know it’s tedious and I know it can be time consuming but it’s so worth it.
- Declutter- If you haven’t worn it in the past 6 month you don’t need it.
- Reorganize – It’s amazing how much extra time you’ll have in the morning because you know where everything is.
- Donate- Start your new year on a positive note. It always feels great to give to those in need. Donate your clothes to your local Amity or to someone you know that needs them.
- Set aside at least 2 hours to get this done.
- Have garbage bags on hand. It’s much easier to toss clothes in a garbage bag than it is to set them aside. You don’t need a reminder that you might possibly wear that shirt again in the new year.
- Be ruthless! If you haven’t worn it in the past six months… it’s more than likely you will not wear it again.
- Tuck away your summer dresses, tanks and shorts. You know you won’t need them for awhile. It helps to purchase some containers to tuck away under your bed. I decided to buy an old trunk to store my summer and winter clothes (depending on the season). It looks great on display in my room (photo below).
- Colour co-ordinate your clothes for a more polished look. We all know it won’t stay like that for long but at least you can start the year with a clean slate.
Have fun with it! It only takes a few hours and I always feel so accomplished when I’m done.